Notes from Alta Gracia

The Fundacion-Finca Alta Gracia is dedicated to bettering the standard of living in the community of Los Marranitos in the Dominican Republic. This is the community that supports, in turn, the production of Cafe Alta Gracia (www.CafeAltaGracia.com). The Fundacion currently hosts an American teacher who teaches literacy in the library that was built on the farm in 2001.

Saturday, November 20, 2004

Context: ...when, where

I open the library Tuesday and Thursday at 9:00am, and weekday afternoons at 2:00pm. Kids here go to school for half a day in the next town over, Los Dajos. Their school's three classrooms are not large enough to hold all the area's students at once. Half-day school is common in the Dominican Republic, an effecient use of resources. Opening the library in the morning and afternoon ensures that everyone gets to come. Lately, fewer children attend than did when I first arrived, due in part to recent rains and the onset of coffee picking season. But I am still encouraged by the surprise arrival of kids who haven't been to the library before, which seems to happen when I least expect it to.

Los Marranitos "belongs to" Los Dajos, which is slightly bigger and more accessable to vehicles. It is approximately half an hour away from most of Los Marranitos by foot, considering that everywhere you go here is either up or down -- there is no flat walking in this mountainside. I admire students their dedication to the walk that takes them to school. Los Dajos is located to the west of Los Marranitos, just before Manabao, off the main road that runs between Jarabacoa and La Cienega. (La Cienega is best known for being the starting-off point for the celebrated Pico Duarte.) Jarabacoa, a thirty minute guagua ride down (and east) from Los Marranitos is "el pueblo," the town where I go to use the internet and make the occasional phone call. From there it is about half an hour east to the bigger town of La Vega, and from La Vega little more than half an hour north on the Autopista (Highway) Duarte to reach Santiago, the country's second city.

From a traveler's viewpoint, what I've written here describes where the Finca Alta Gracia is located. When I look around me, however, I can't see any road other than Los Marranitos' main dirt track (which itself sees few vehicles larger than motorcycles). To the west, if it's not cloudy, I see Pico Duarte and its foothills. Northeast are the houses of Jarabacoa and the valley beyond it. The most dominant features of the land surrounding the farm are the slope of the land Los Marranitos rests on, the Rio Yaque below, and the corresponding steep slope of the mountains across the river. The river itself is about a forty-five minute walk away at the easiest access point, and I've yet to go there. This time of year, green vistas alternate with white-grey, wet clouds to dominate the landscape.

1 Comments:

  • At January 15, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    Hi. It's great to read about Alta Gracia. I've been trying to find it. Google Earth doesn't know about it. This might be a clue for one of you to put on GE.
    Would you send me map locations...some way to find it. I am leaving to serve in the DR with Peace Corps in a few weeks. I'll probably not be posted anywhere near there, but I'm doing my homework. One never knows.
    Thanks,
    Paul
    paulkenyon@juno.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home