Notes from Alta Gracia

The Fundacion-Finca Alta Gracia is dedicated to bettering the standard of living in the community of Los Marranitos in the Dominican Republic. This is the community that supports, in turn, the production of Cafe Alta Gracia (www.CafeAltaGracia.com). The Fundacion currently hosts an American teacher who teaches literacy in the library that was built on the farm in 2001.

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Lesson 5: La jefa de la biblioteca

I am here in Los Marranitos as a volunteer teacher. I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, in charge of the library. Oh yes, I do have a degree of control over what goes on within the four walls of our bright building. But do have any sense of being in charge? Hardly. One thing I've learned in the two months I've been here is that my primary goal, and, I believe, that of the library, should be to provide positive opportunities for the children and young adults of Los Marranitos, Finca Alta Gracia's community. However, I haven't been here long enough, don't know people and their circumstances well enough, and haven't penetrated the surface of encouraging people to take advantage of the resources the Fundacion-Finca offers them. In this local respect, I feel far from "in charge" of how people use the library.

The Fundacion-Finca Alta Gracia has an international aspect, too, and in this respect I also don't dream of carrying the responsibility of being "in charge." Sarah DiCandio, who until now has been in charge of sales of Cafe Alta Gracia, has recently taken on the role of directing the Fundacion (congratulations, Sarah!). She's working on various projects, including 501(c)(3) certification, all in the interest of developing the Fundacion's structure and capacity to work in the farm community. It will be she who monitors the progress of the library and manages its development over the years, as both teachers and students pass through these mountains. Saying this, and also that I have great confidence in Sarah's enthusiasm and dedication, allow me to admit that I don't think that Sara is "in charge" of the library, either. She answers to the true jefa (boss). I know that this person exists, because I saw her in action yesterday, right here in the library. That jefa is Julia Alvarez, author, enterpriser, dreamer.

Julia and Bill visited the farm this week and were busy from the minute their truck pulled down the drive. When they stopped in the library, they were on their way to pay a visit elsewhere. However, while Bill sat quitely reading one of the magazines that the kids were cutting up for collages, Julia set down her backpack and began entertaining. In the midst of the chaotic reality of this farm project, Julia slipped automatically into her place as teacher, role model, and source of inspiration. It seemed completely natural and fulfilling to her to burst into a silly song in relation to one of the children's drawings, and to challenge others to a math practice session (inspiring one girl to boast that she knew division -- when she doesn't -- and another to make me pledge to tell Julia that she'd received no help on her mulitplication problems). I stayed in the background, fussing with materials and watching as she captured their attention in a way that I've rarely done, even when I was new here. I don't pretend to be a teacher, which Julia clearly is, but I think she's got much more than that going for her. Julia Alvarez is in charge of the Biblioteca Alta Gracia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home